Common gearbox warning signs include:
• Gearbox noises, like a whirring, grinding, clunking, or buzzing sound
• A burning smell that could be caused by a fluid leak or burning clutch as the result of low fluid levels
• Difficulty or failure to engage a gear or stay in gear
• Leaking transmission fluid – red fluid under the vehicle is an indication of a likely transmission fluid leak
• The clutch pedal engaging very low or very high could indicate a problem with the linkage or hydraulic system that operates the clutch, or a worn clutch disc and pressure plate
Getting to your technician for Mercedes-Benz gearbox maintenance at the first sign of trouble might be an unexpected expense, but the cost will be insignificant compared to the cost of complete gearbox failure that may require a whole new gearbox to be fitted.